TOWONG COMMUNITY RECOVERY COMMITTEE
We give a voice to the views and recovery goals of bushfire affected community members in Towong and surrounding areas.
The Towong Community Recovery Committee (TCRC) was formed to provide an avenue for community members to have a voice throughout the recovery phase by sharing views and aspirations.
To advocate for our community, to help other existing community groups and organisations to formalise their priorities and achieve their funding and project goals and oversee the community recovery and support recovery efforts for our community.
We will act as a collective, helping to guide local priorities and shape future direction, supported by various local action groups.
We provide direction on community needs and priorities to the Municipal Recovery Committee which is co-chaired by Council and Bushfire Recovery Victoria.
- Nathan Hewatt (Chair)
- Cath Joyce (Deputy Chair)
- Brooke McKimmie
- Cath McInnes
- Pam McKimmie
- Cindy Wheeler,
- Betsy Christie
- Dave Christie
- Griffin Cook
- Josie Joyce
Our recovery priorities
- River area clean up
- Walking tracks
- Fire preparedness
- Hall renovation
- Recreation areas/activities
- Initiated our Recovery Committee in July with 10 members.
- Adopted a Terms of Reference
- Implemented a community wide feedback survey to identify community priorities, ideas and projects
- Initiated Sunday Walks – each Sunday at 2.30pm
- Successfully applied for $5000 from Towong Shire Council Community Grants Program to purchase a community quick-fill pump and trailer for fire response
- Received a donation of an 8kva generator from the Rotary Club of Corryong to be used during extended power outages to allow Towong residents to shower, cook, charge devices, and fill water bottles at the hall
- Secured $544,645 to refurbish the Towong Soldiers Memorial Hall and to provide better access
- Secured $6,000 from Rebuild Upper Murray
Towong is approximately fifteen minutes north east of Corryong. Surrounded by farm land on the Corryong Creek and situated by the Murray River, the locality of Towong features the region’s major racecourse on the recreation and camping reserve along with captivating views of the Great Dividing Range along the ridgeline behind the township and the Towong Hill Road.
The community spans from Farrans Lookout, Millers Hill, the intersection of Towong Hill Road and Murray Valley Highway and the intersection of Towong Road and Tooma Road. We have a population of 132 and a median age of 58.
Towong is seeing an increasing interest in its township by young families, seeking a new life and lifestyle.
Out and about in Towong
A huge array of books are available to buy for a small donation from the front of the hall, please feel free to also donate old books in good condition. All proceeds go to the hall committee.
Everyone is welcome to join in on a walk each Sunday at 2.30pm. Meet at the post box.